Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Colorful Chicken Casserole














This is the first recipe from the Taste of Home Freezer Pleasers cookbook I just bought. I love when I have a recipe to make ahead and freeze. The last thing I want to worry about when I get home from work is dinner! What is so great about a lot of these recipes are that you make enough for 2 batches. So you have dinner tonight and then you can freeze the 2nd one up to 3 months! I love it. I made this chicken casserole over the weekend and froze both batches. It was great to come home tonight with dinner already made.

Ingredients:
1 c chopped celery
1 c chopped green pepper
3/4 c chopped onion
2 tbsp butter
1 c chicken broth
1 c frozen peas
1 c frozen corn
1 tsp salt, optional
1/4 tsp pepper
3 c cooked chicken ( I used a rotisserie chicken)
1 package (7 oz) cooked elbow macaroni (I used wheat)
1 jar (4-1/2 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained (I omitted. Not a fan of mushrooms!)
1 c (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
1. In a large skillet, saute the celery, green pepper, and onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, corn, peas, salt and pepper; heat through. Stir in chicken and noodles. Divide between two 2-qt baking dishes coated with cooking spray. Top with mushrooms and cheese.

2. Cover and freeze one casserole. (I froze both since we had other dinner plans). Cover and bake the second casserole at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes longer or heated through.

3.To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles ( 4 servings each).
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment